Saturday, June 4, 2011

Horrible Haircut

At the beginning of May, I saw a picture of Jen Aniston's new hair in People magazine. I fell in love with her hair and convinced myself that I should cut my long hair and get an inverted bob for summer. I booked an appointment to see my hair stylist and friend, Gina*, for a cut and color. The appointment was about a week away and I spent the whole week going back and forth , back and forth, back and forth on whether or not I should cut it. I actually lost a lot of sleep. My best friend didn't help matters much either, she had chopped her hair off at one point and regretted it. She made every point to remind me that I would hate short hair as well. Thanks Bets!

The day of my appointment I decided just to play it safe. There were two reasons I decided to just get a trim. 1. I loved my long hair. I've almost always had long hair and every time I've cut it, I've always grown it out again. That awkward in-between stage sucks! 2. The first time Gina did my hair, she did an AMAZING job on the color, but the cut was a little uneven, but not the worst cut I'd ever gotten. I didn't really want to put a new cut into her hands.

I went into my appointment and she started right away on my color. We chit-chatted and caught each other up on life. About 20-30 minutes into my appointment her husband and daughter show up. She and her husband are in the middle of a separation, so he was dropping their adorable 2 year-old daughter off. I didn't mind, but quickly realized that having them their was a major distraction for her, as it would be for anyone.

While I was processing she came over and asked me if we could do my cut at her house. I wasn't crazy about the idea because I had already driven 30 minutes to her salon, but I agreed anyways. We had made a deal that she would not charge me for the haircut, but I would pay full price for my foil. She then came back to tell me that she could do my cut "real quick" here at the salon. I almost listened to my gut and said no, but I decided to trust her. Big mistake.

Gina flew through my haircut. She grabbed random pieces and just cut. There was no rhythm or reason to where she was cutting. I was shocked when she told me she was finished. She then asked me if she could skip blow drying my hair! What!? I couldn't see my color or my cut. I asked her if we could blow dry it and she said, "I'll do a partial blow dry so you can see the color." It then dawned on me that she didn't really care.

I went home with partially dried hair and discovered the horribly uneven cut she had given me. I knew I was going to have to chop off my hair in order to get an even cut. I even cried a little. I was sad because I knew I was going to have to part with my hair, but more-so because someone I considered a friend, couldn't put forth the effort to give me a nice even cut. I was disappointed. As someone who works in the beauty industry I've always taken pride in my work and felt terrible when I didn't do a good job, especially on a friend.

My friends and family kept telling me that I needed to call her a tell her about the cut. But what am I supposed to say to someone who doesn't care? It's not like she just missed a spot or I would trust her to fix it. So what was the point? If she cared she would call me or text me the next day to see what I thought. She did text me the next day to chit-chat, but she never asked about my hair.

Luckily I work with one amazing hair stylist. Jessica came to my rescue and was able to work out a great cut for me. I love my cut, she did such an amazing job. I thought I was going to have to ask her to stop cutting my hair she was so meticulous, but it was greatly appreciated.

Things always happen for a reason, right?








*Names changed

No comments:

Post a Comment